General Information

How do I file a Notification?

What happens after I file my Notification?

How do I file a Reply?

What happens after
I file my Reply?

Human Rights Act
Rules of Procedure
Guides & Information

Annual Reports

Decisions and Hearings


Seeking Legal Counsel

Tribunal Members & Staff

What do I do if I think I am the victim of discrimination or harassment?

If you think that you have experienced discrimination or harassment in Nunavut, within the last two years, you should contact the Nunavut Human Rights Tribunal Office, located in Coral Harbour, to ask for information and get a Notification form to fill out.

A Nunavut Human Rights Tribunal Human Rights Officer is available to help at 1-866-413-6478 toll free.

You can also seek support from a lawyer to evaluate your case and help you fill out a Notification form. You can contact the Nunavut Legal Services Board here:

Note – Some businesses and agencies are federal and fall under the jurisdiction of the Canadian Human Act not the Nunavut Human Rights Act, for example: banks, airlines, the RCMP, or a federal government department. If you think you have been discriminated against by a federal business or agency contact the Canadian Human Rights Commission or by phone 1-888-214-1090.

How do I file a Notification?

If you feel you have been discriminated against or harassed based on one of the grounds in the Act you should complete a Notification form and file it with the Human Rights Tribunal office. A Notification is a form that must be completed by the person (the Applicant) who says they have been discriminated against.

The form can be completed orally or in writing and in any of the official languages of Nunavut. It can be mailed, faxed, or emailed to the Tribunal Office to the attention of the Tribunal Executive Director.

The Notification asks you to say which prohibited grounds the discrimination or harassment were based on (e.g. your race, disability, sex etc.). You can choose more than one but you must choose at least one.

The Notification asks you to explain:

You can also file a Notification orally. In addition a Notification can be filed on your behalf with your informed consent.

Any documentation that will support your claim should be attached to the Notification. Whenever possible, you should seek the services of a lawyer. You may also have other people in your family or community assist you in communicating with the Tribunal Office.

The Respondent is an individual or agency named in your Notification as allegedly committing the act of discrimination or harassment. You (the Applicant) and anyone you name as a Respondent are referred to as the Parties to the Notification.

Forms are available upon request from the Tribunal Office.

What is a “Human Rights Officer”?

The first person that you speak to in the Human Rights Tribunal Office is likely to be a Human Rights Officer. Human Rights Officers are there to help you understand the practices and procedures set out in the Act and how to file Notifications. Human Rights Officers can make referrals to other agencies if necessary. They will also look after any special needs that you might have, such as interpreter services. Anything that is said to a Human Rights Officer or the Executive Director is confidential.